I’ve spent a few years now perfecting this recipe to get a soft, flavorful cookie while balancing the marshmallow and chocolate so they don’t overpower the cookie. I think I finally got it! Recently I added orange zest—it really complements the other flavors. —Lynsay Benson, Minnetonka, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2/3 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/2 tablespoon 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. In another bowl, whisk flour, pudding mix, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, allspice and pepper; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half and shape each portion into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1 3/4-in. square-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until set, 12-14 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread 1 teaspoon melted chocolate on the bottom of half of the cookies. Let stand until set.
- Meanwhile, beat filling ingredients until blended. Spread 1 tablespoon over chocolate; cover with remaining cookies. Store in refrigerator in airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 294 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.