Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 5 large Red Delicious apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped fresh or thawed frozen rhubarb (about 8 stalks)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a Dutch oven, combine apples, rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 18-22 minutes or until fruit is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. If a smoother consistency is desired, cool slightly and, in batches, process in a blender. Serve warm or cold. Freeze option: Freeze cooled applesauce in freezer containers. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Serve cold or heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 93 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
Aug 26, 2017
Loved it! It was chock-full of fresh fruity flavor, and I loved the addition of the tangy rhubarb. Instead of red delicious apples, I used some of the semi-tart ones from the tree in my yard. Also, when I was a cup and a half short of strawberries, I added a couple of fresh peaches to the mix. Heavenly!
May 26, 2017
amazing stuff. I make it every year and it seems like there is never enough.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.