Double-Duty Heavenly Applesauce
Every year my husband and I take our two daughters to an orchard to pick apples so we can make this luscious applesauce for family and neighbors. —Jennifer Purcell, Vermilion, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings plus leftover
- 5 pounds apples, peeled and sliced (about 13 cups)
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until apples are soft.
- Add vanilla; stir to break up apples. Reserve 3/4 cup applesauce for Double-Duty Applesauce Mini Muffins. Serve remaining applesauce warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled applesauce in freezer containers. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 211 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 4g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Heavenly Applesauce in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016