Fruity Pork Roast
I like using the slow cooker for our meals because it gives me time for other preparations, frees the oven, and it usually doesn't matter if you serve it later than planned. The fruit in this recipe, which I adapted, gives the pork a special flavor. —Mary Jeppesen-Davis, St. Cloud, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours + standing
- 1/2 medium lemon, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 3 tablespoons sherry or additional unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients; set aside. Cut roast in half; sprinkle with salt, pepper and ginger.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour fruit mixture over roast. Place apple and parsley around roast. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 5-6 hours.
- Transfer meat to a serving platter. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked pork with 1/4 cup fruit mixture: 272 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Fruity Pork Roast from the Crock Pot in Simple & Delicious November/December 2009