Frosted Pistachio Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios, optional
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Optional decorations: candy eyeballs, M&M's minis, milk chocolate M&M's, Life Savers hard candies and gummies, regular and mini peanut butter cups, licorice twists, shoestring licorice, Starburst fruit chews, mega and regular Smarties, Nerds, Runts, Snaps chewy candies, candy corn, tiny-size Chiclets gum, butterscotch hard candies, Rolo candies, Caramel Creams and PayDay candy bar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, pudding mix, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg, melted butter, oil, water and vanilla until blended; stir into flour mixture. If desired, stir in pistachios. (Dough will be stiff.)
- Press dough into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. Spread over top. Decorate as desired.
- Cut into bars before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 bar (calculated without decorations): 253 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 20, 2015
The frosting is painfully sweet, and the pistachio flavor doesn't come through in the bars. Disappointing.
Mar 4, 2015
I agree that the batter is very greasy, but when it bakes, the taste and consistency is good and not too greasy. My favorite things about this recipe are: (1) pistachio is interesting and different but kids still like it, and (2) I used these at Christmas with red and green sprinkles and at St. Patrick's Day and made rainbow of sprinkles (or used green coarse sugar). I do not use cream cheese frosting, just because I don't want to have to refrigerate. So I use regular butter cream frosting (1/2 cup butter, softened, 1/2-1lb. powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and enough half and half to get the consistency you want.
Nov 20, 2014
Too greasy for my taste. I did change the recipe a bit, I used vanilla pudding in place of pistachio pudding.
Oct 27, 2014
While these bars are very tasty, they are greasy. I reduced the oil to 1/4 cup and increased the water to 1/2 cup. This was much better. In the frosting, I used 1 oz. of butter and 4 ounces of reduced fat cream cheese. The result: I had as many rave reviews as with the original recipe.
Oct 14, 2014
Made these yesterday. They are way too greasy. I would like to remake them so they aren't so greasy. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sep 27, 2014
A lot of oil and butter, they are very greasy. Is it the right amount?
Sep 12, 2014