Frosted Zucchini Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- CARAMEL CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 10 caramels
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini, dates and walnuts. Spread into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, heat caramels and water over low heat until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally. In a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add caramel mixture and salt; mix well. Spread over cooled bars.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Solo brand cake and pastry filling. Look for it in the baking aisle.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 8, 2014
We loved these bars. I left out the dates and walnuts per our preference. I used 3/4 cup unrefined coconut oil in place of the canola and applesauce. They probably weren't as light, but they turned out great!
Jul 22, 2013
My family loves these bars no matter what age. I've also brought them to work and they were a big hit there as well!