Pumpkin and Walnut Squares
The buttery crust and crumb topping plus the creamy pumpkin filling make this a popular dessert at potlucks. Try it with whipped cream, ice cream or all by its yummy self. This is the pumpkin walnut recipe to end all recipes. —Ruth Beller, Sun City, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix flour, sugar and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Reserve 1 cup mixture for topping; press remaining mixture onto bottom and halfway up sides of a 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining ingredients just until smooth. Pour into crust; sprinkle with reserved topping.
- Bake until golden brown, 50-55 minutes. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 square: 221 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Squares in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018