Frosted Carrot Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) carrot baby food
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Yellow, red and green liquid food coloring
- 2 pastry or heavy-duty resealable plastic bags
- In a bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs and carrots. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to carrot mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Blend in sugar until smooth. Place 1/4 cup of frosting in a small bowl; stir in yellow and red food coloring to make orange. Set aside. Place 3 tablespoons frosting in a small bowl; stir in green food coloring.
- Spread white frosting on cake. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; fill with orange frosting. Mark off 20 squares on the cake; pipe a small carrot in the center of each square. Place green frosting in another bag; cut a small hole in the corner. Pipe greens on top of each carrot.
Jun 4, 2018
Delicious cake, very moist! Won't hesitate to make again and again!
Feb 28, 2011
This is fabulous and super moist. My kids love it---they won't eat regular carrot cake where they can see the carrots!
Aug 22, 2009
First time I tried these, no one could believe there was baby food used in the recipe. These bars have becom a favorite in my family, and I have the recipe requested often. They're YUMMY.