“For best results, I always serve this lean and tasty flank steak rare. Deglaze the pan with wine, making sure to scrape up all the savory browned bits with a wooden spoon,” says Warner Beatty of Niagara Falls, Ontario.
Recommended: 52 Date Night Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1/4 cup grape juice and 3/4 cup additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb; brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; mash and set aside.
- Sprinkle steak with pepper and salt. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook steak over medium-high heat in remaining oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium; add 1 tablespoon butter. Cook steak 4-8 minutes longer on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove and keep warm.
- Gradually add broth and wine to the pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Stir in mashed garlic. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half.
- Strain sauce and return to pan; stir in remaining butter until melted. Thinly slice steak across the grain. Sprinkle with onions; serve with sauce. Yield: 6 servings (3/4 cup sauce).
Originally published as Flank Steak with Wine Sauce in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p23
Reviews forFlank Steak with Wine Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 4, 2013
"This was very delicious! I loved the roasted garlic flavor."
Reviewed Nov. 16, 2012
"This was delicious & full of flavor.~ Theresa"