- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken in half
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 to 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 5 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine soups, sour cream, milk, 2 tablespoons butter and seasonings. Add the cheeses, celery, onion and mushrooms. Stir in the chicken and spaghetti.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish (dish will be full). Combine cornflakes and remaining butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews forFirefighter's Chicken Spaghetti
"I made a few modifications based upon quite a few years of making casseroles.1. I cooked the onions and celery added the spices (1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 2 tbsp. dried parsley) with the butter in a large Dutch oven.2. I used two cloves of fresh minced garlic instead of garlic salt3. I swapped the mozzarella cheese for sharp cheddar since I didn't have mozzarella in the house4. I added the diced chicken to the veg/spice mix and slightly cooked the chicken - not much just about a minute5. I mixed all the wet ingredients together with a whisk in a separate bowl6. Added the wet ingredients to the Dutch oven with the spice/chicken mixture7. Added the cheese and stirred mixture until combined then I added the spaghetti8. I only cooked the pasta six minutes (you only want to partially cook pasta otherwise it becomes mushy in a casserole9. I skipped the corn flake crumbs10, Baked everything in the Dutch oven. When I pull out the casserole I immediately stir it and the top will become rehydrated so you don't need to add bread crumbs/corn flake/or any other type of topping if you don't want to.11. Skipped the canned mushrooms, didn't have any in the house.It was good I will make it again."
"This was so good! I used a full pound of spaghetti and I sauteed the onion and celery in additional butter beforehand. I also used a mixture of sharp cheddar and mozzarella and instead of the cornflakes on top, I used some additional shredded cheddar. I didn't have any fresh mushrooms (I don't use canned) so I omitted the mushrooms. My whole family loved it, and by the end of the night, the entire casserole was gone. Thanks for this recipe; it's a keeper!"
"This was really good. The whole family enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing!"
"I have made this for years and like some of the different ingredients but I always use cheddar cheese which would give this much more flavor."
"This was great. Next time I'm saut?ing the onions and celery and slightly saut?ing the (fresh) mushroom. Also, I'm adding chopped water chestnuts. On the cornflakes, make sure that it is 1-1/2 Crushed cornflakes and I used Rotisserie chicken."
"This is really good, but I made some revisions. I saut?ed the onions and celery with fresh mushrooms in 2 Tbs of butter and cooked the chicken in 2 Tbs of butter. I omitted the 2 Tbs in the mixture since I used it for saut?ing. I substituted Monterey Jack cheese for the mozzarella for more flavor. With those changes, it was very tasty, and I'll be making it again."
"I made this last night. Hubby liked it. The onion and celery did not get cooked through, so next time I will saut? first along with a little fresh garlic, instead of garlic powder. The spaghetti was a little too soft/ over cooked so next time will cook until al dente or possibly use a different pasta type. I cut the fat by using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and omitted the cornflakes."
"Tasty. I made this for my daughter when she was home from college and gave her some to take back. She enjoyed it!!!"
"Outstanding! Freezes very well and reheats in microwave partially covered or in the oven covered. Cornflakes whole or crushed make an excellent topping."