- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 2 large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix flour, brown sugar, oats and butter; reserve 1-1/2 cups mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in apples and vanilla. Pour into crust. Crumble topping over filling.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forFavorite Dutch Apple Pie
"Hubby was craving apple pie and I ran across this in my August/September Simple & Delicious mag. Looked easy and with few ingredients. The only thing we needed was the apples. Got some Granny Smiths and followed the recipe except for adding some cinnamon to the apple mixture. I couldn't figure out why that was left out of the original recipe. Anyway, it came out TERRIFIC! Oh so tasty and the crust is wonderful. Perfect recipe! I've already printed and saved it and it is now my go-to recipe. Hubby absolutely LOVED it and he's picky about his apple pie. LOL! Thanks Brenda DuFrense for sending it in."
"This was so easy - love the preparation technique for the crust and topping! I thought it needed some spice so next time I made it I added in 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the flour mixture. I also added 1/2 cup chopped nuts (typically peans or walnuts), and I thought this provided some nice crunch. I will definitely make this pie again!"
"This pie was easy to prepare. The no roll crust and topping is delicious. As I was making this pie, I noticed it did not call for any cinnamon. After reading several other reviews, I decided to add some cinnamon and nutmeg to the filling. I would also reserve more like 1 1/2 cups of the crust mixture for the topping."
"I would have given this 5 stars, however, it definitely lacks cinnamon and nutmeg! I should have read the reviews before I made it. I think with those additions, this would be a 10 star pie! LOVE the crust! I love that it adds more texture and flavor vs a standard crust. I might even add some finely chopped walnuts or pecans to the streusel topping!"
"Did not like it at all/"