Faux Profiteroles with Warm Caramel Sauce
Croissants are a super quick stand-in for cream puffs in this luscious treat. The from-scratch caramel sauce couldn’t be easier to make and it’s irresistible with butter pecan ice cream. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce)
- 6 miniature croissants
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups butter pecan ice cream
- Place croissants on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until warmed.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook without stirring until mixture turns an amber color and a candy thermometer reads 330°. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in cream and butter until smooth.
- Split croissants horizontally. Place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom half of each croissant; replace tops. Drizzle each with 2 tablespoons caramel sauce (save remaining sauce for another use).
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 435 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.