Angel Food Cake With Caramel Sauce
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping; set aside. Cut cake horizontally into two layers. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with cream cheese mixture. Replace top; refrigerate.
- In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup of cream, sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt. Cook and stir until mixture reaches soft-ball stage (234°). Slowly add remaining cream. Cook and stir until mixture returns to soft-ball stage (234°). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool. Drizzle over cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 14, 2012
Certainly didn't taste bad but for me it just wasn't worth the work.
Apr 17, 2011
LOve this dessert. It is rich-but you can also substiute the cararmel sauce with a fruit sauce which make it not as rich tasting. I will definitely make it again.
Mar 16, 2010
It sounded good but WAY too rich!! Not something I would make again. Neither DH or I were impressed. Looks pretty but there are recipes out there that can be this pretty taste better. Sorry.