Mocha-Hazelnut Glazed Angel Food Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 12 large egg whites (about 1-2/3 cups)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 16 maraschino cherries with stems
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix flour and coffee granules until blended.
- Add cream of tartar, extract and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently transfer to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 30-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool cake in pan, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. In a small bowl, whisk Nutella, confectioners' sugar and coffee until smooth. Drizzle over cake; sprinkle with hazelnuts. Serve with cherries.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 234 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 29, 2014
Really good cake. Excellent flavor.
Apr 28, 2014
Very good cake. The glaze is outta this world delicious. I went the semi-homemade route and used a boxed angel food cake mix, but still added the coffee and almond extract. My husband liked it with strawberries and whip cream. Even my dad liked it and he doesn't like angel food. Highly recommend and will definitely make this again.