Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 65 min.
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 cup cubed cooked potatoes
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; add ham and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender; drain.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half the bread cubes, potatoes and cheese. Top with all of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers of bread, potatoes and cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs; add the milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over all. Cover and chill overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake, uncovered, for 65-70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 276 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 152mg cholesterol, 659mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Jan 12, 2017
I think this is best with stale or oven baked bread slices so that it is the consistency of croutons. Good cheese is a must. Monterey Jack melts well or Guyere and Longhorn is good too. I love this recipe and as long as it is seasoned properly it is a star. More than a dash of salt and pepper are needed for the flavors to be enhanced. : )
Apr 6, 2016
Solid recipe, tasty and easy to prepare. Would make again, although, next time would jazz it up a bit more with more spices and perhaps a meat with more heat (chorizo, spicy bulk sausage, etc.) Family all enjoyed as written though.
Jul 11, 2015
OMG this was a huge success at our church brunch - had to give out the recipe 4 times.
Jun 19, 2015
Strata's are so easy and fun to make. This is a great recipe with all the good stuff to make it hardy and tasty. You can change up the meats, leave out the potatoes or make it just as listed.
Dec 5, 2014
You've got to plan ahead for this one, but it's worth the effort. It's a good way to use left over ham or bacon We use it for special occasions..
Oct 10, 2014
I prepared this delicious dish the night before and baked it before leaving for school. l will certainly make this one again. The crowd loved it.
Sep 24, 2014
I have been making this for years after seeing it in the Taste of Home magazine. It is one of the best breakfast casseroles I have ever eaten!
Sep 24, 2014
in ONE WORD : YUMMY (My grand child's word)
Sep 24, 2014
A quick tip for this recipe is to use canned, cubed potatoes that have been well drained. (Each can is about 1 cup) For some reason, they hold their shape and the texture is perfect. Other than that, there is absolutely nothing I would do different. It is delicious. Sometimes I DO add a splash or two of Tobasco sauce, especially if I'm using pepper-jack cheese. YUMMY!!!
Feb 7, 2014
Followed the directions, but used center-cut bacon and doubled the potatoes. I'm thinking that the potatoes could have been 4X and maybe reduce by one slice of bread. Could also get by with just 2 cups of cheese -- but all in all, this is a darn good recipe that offers lots of possibilities with variations!