Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 4 breakfast turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Place bread in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon over bread. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg substitute and sour cream. Stir in cheese. Pour over the meat mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa.
- Or before refrigerating, cover and freeze strata for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen strata: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake according to directions.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 247 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Aug 26, 2012
kids didn't like it but it is easy to make the night beforeand I would take it to a brunch.
Jun 28, 2010
I decided to make this casserole to use up some day-old bread. I've made it several times and always double or triple the recipe because my family of 7 enjoys it so much.