- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in an 8-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and onions. Whisk eggs, milk, pepper and salt; pour over all. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFarmer's Casserole
"Make for overnight guests. Yum!"
"This was very quick to put together. I didn't see the need to let it chill for any time, since it didn't have bread in it that needed to soak up the egg & milk, so i baked it right away. That may be why I did have to bake it 10 minutes longer, so that the center didn't have any jiggle to it. I added 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, a handful of fresh spinach, chopped, & I used 1% milk instead of evaporated milk. Even my 8 year-old granddaughter liked it! I have a gluten-allergic daughter, so I appreciate any tasty gluten free recipe I can find. Thanks for the recipe!"
"I have success with this recipe by OMITTING THE MILK and beating in some SMALL CURD COTTAGE CHEESE instead! I like the texture and its NOT runny. I like it with bacon bits instead of ham too. Also use the frozen hash browns that already have onion and green pepper in it....even easier!"
"I've made this many times and we really like it. I've always used evaporated milk and I use O'Brien style Simply Fresh potatoes (found in the refrigerator section). I also use Canadian Bacon rather than ham which tends to be saltier. There are only 2 of us at home so I cut the casserole into serving pieces and freeze the extras for a quick meal when I'm rushed for time."
"Did not care for this. The potatoes were flat and tasteless. Didn't like the texture either. It seemed to be "fluffy". Maybe with some additions and changes it would be good. Probably will not make it again as is."
"It's very good"
"easy, yummy, and filling."
"This wasn't very good. Bland flavor, but the worst part was how watery it was, even after baking it for 90 minutes. The egg mixture never seemed to set. The recipe Saturday you can substitute milk for condensed milk, but I don't recommend it. I used whole milk and I'm pretty sure that's what made it runny."