- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pound cake or vanilla ice cream
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Add rhubarb; cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon peel and nutmeg.
- Serve warm or chilled over pound cake or ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Reviews forEasy Rhubarb Sauce
"This is a great recipe! I used a little lemon juice instead of the juice. I made a lemon sponge cake to put it on."
"Very tasty. I always used orange zest in my rhubarb. There are many varieties of rhubarb and Victoria Cherry Rhubarb is one of the best with deep red stalks. If you over sweeten your rhubarb you can counter act it by adding 1/2 tsp or more of citric acid. I keep a supply in the freezer. Rhubarb purists never mix strawberry in with it......"
"Made this, used Splenda in place of the sugar, was wonderful with low fat ice cream, topped with a crushed small mini-cone, or a few crushed cinnamon graham cracker crumbs. Wonderful old fashioned flavor dessert, and best of all simple & convenient to have on hand for unexpected coffee guests."
"I don't usually add the nutmeg or lemon peel because we like the simplicity of the recipe without those ingredients."
"My mother used to make this. We had it on toast instead of jam in the morning."
"My great grandmother passed this recipe down to all the generations to follow her. It's been a select member family fsvorite ever since. Some like it more don't but the ones that do share a special bond. The only change is no lemon or nutmeg and served like applesauce. Use as much rhubarb as you can find (it's few and far between) and enough sugar to taste. Also "strawberry rhubarb" is the preferred type. The other is more bitter.and uses alot more sugar."