Easy Rhubarb Relish
I remember eating this relish at my grandmother's over 50 years ago. My mother made it for years and now my daughters make it. It complements any meat, but I find it a "must" with meat loaf. —Helen Brooks, Lacombe, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours + chilling
- 12 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Rinse four 2-cup freezer containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens, about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; cover with lids. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 12 months. Thaw frozen relish in refrigerator before serving
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 31 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 38mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Relish in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.