Rhubarb and Honey Chicken
The sauce on this honey chicken is like a sweet-tart spin on teriyaki. Everyone who tries it raves about it—even my husband, who’s not usually a rhubarb lover. —Rachel Beach, Whitley City, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- HONEY-RHUBARB SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1-3/4 cups cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine flour and poultry seasoning. In another bowl, whisk egg and milk. Dip chicken, one piece at a time, in flour mixture, then in egg mixture; coat again with flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- For sauce, combine cornstarch and 1-1/2 cups cold water in a large saucepan until smooth; stir in brown sugar, honey and soy sauce. Pulse rhubarb, onion, garlic and remaining water in a food processor until blended. Stir into cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Pour over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer in the thigh reads 170°, 35-40 minutes.