Easy Pepper Steak
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/4-inch x 2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- Cooked rice
- Sprinkle meat with paprika. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Brown beef. Add broth and garlic. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add green peppers and onion. Cover and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch, soy sauce and water; stir into meat mixture. Cook and stir until thickened. Gently stir in tomatoes and heat through. Serve over rice.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 365 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 32g protein.
Mar 23, 2020
Delicious! I used a red yellow and green pepper. Pretty dish! Hit with the fam.
Feb 11, 2020
Wonderful! I used red, yellow, and orange bell peppers because that is what I had on hand. I used a little crushed tomatoes instead of fresh, since we did not have fresh. I thought it was delightful. Meat was fork-tender and delicious, and the sauce was lovely.
Feb 11, 2020
Ok Andrea, this isn’t a dish that requires a $20/pound cut. It’s a top round, cube steak recipe. I’ve even used pork chops and chicken and it turns out great.
Jan 24, 2020
Terrible. Steak was entirely too rubbery. 30 min is too long to cook steak. Dinner is ruined.
Dec 13, 2019
Made as written. It's a keeper. The flavor of the gravy was great.
Nov 21, 2019
BEST EVER. TOSS A LITTLE OF YOUR ON STILE IN......... WOW SOOO EASY.
Oct 28, 2019
My husband loves pepper steak. He usually makes it. I followed this recipe pretty closely. OmG, he loved it. There was nothing left!
Sep 20, 2019
This was the best pepper steak I have ever made. No left overs!!!
Aug 16, 2019
Very simple but delicious. I served it over wide egg noodles as well as rice. Either way it’s great.
Jun 6, 2019
I'm just trying to learn how to cook at 64 years of age. I've always cooked really easy things in the past with not much taste. I had no idea how to season food. Then I got the novel idea to use a recipe! This one said it was easy so it was right up my alley. I followed the recipe almost exactly....I used less onion for the first try and I cooked my vegetables a little longer because I like them a bit soft. With the first taste I was like, hmmm, does not taste like my mom's pepper steak. Then I was like, I feel that the taste of the beef broth is overpowering. I had a second plate and afterwards I was spooning the sauce from the pan directly into my mouth. OK, I licked the plate clean, too. I think I liked it.