Basic, everyday ingredients come together in Lisa Bleich’s recipe for easy weeknight pork chops. The cook from Flagstaff, Arizona combines apple juice and onions for a delicious main dish.
Recommended: 52 Sweet and Savory Apple Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add pork chops and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chops on both sides in butter.
- Add onion and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-10 minutes or until meat juices run clear.
- Remove pork chops and keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in remaining salt and pepper and browning sauce if desired. Serve with pork chops. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Onion Pork Chops in Simple & Delicious November/December 2007, p28