Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, molasses and orange zest. Combine the flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, ginger and cardamom. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a parchment paper-lined surface, roll a small amount of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Use a floured cookie stamp to press design into dough, then cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters, leaving 1 in. between cookies. Remove excess dough and reroll scraps, if desired.
- Transfer parchment paper with dough to cookie sheet. If dough has warmed, place baking sheet in refrigerator until it firms up, about 10-15 minutes. Bake at 350° until edges are lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 151 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 11, 2016
Haven't made these yet, wondering if they taste like windmill cookies!
Oct 20, 2016
For those looking for the template, look under Directions #1. Where it says "Trace template", hover over the word "template" and you'll see it's underlined. Click on the word to get a picture of the template.I haven't made these yet, but they look delicious! Think I'll make them for the holidays.
Dec 6, 2012
As usual, TOH does not provide all the information, like on the first day of the cookie countdown, they did not provide the cookie recipe...so disappointing!
Dec 4, 2012
These are wonderful. And, you don't need a template. You can use cookie cutters. The template was only for the design pictured anyway. These have a wonderful flavor. I will definetley be making these for Christmas giving.
Dec 3, 2012
Will not make do not know how to get template.
Dec 3, 2012
"Template on page XX"??