Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes28 pastry pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold butter
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, beat the almond paste, sugar, egg and extract until smooth. Divide into 4 portions. On lightly floured waxed paper, roll each portion into a 12x1/2-in. rope; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into 4 portions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion into a 14x6-in. rectangle. Place 1 almond paste rope in the center of each rectangle. Moisten long edges of dough; fold over filling. Press seam to seal; tuck in ends.
- Transfer seam side down to greased baking sheets; form each into an "S" shape. Whisk egg white and water; brush over dough. Using a fork, prick tops at 1-in. intervals to vent.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. To serve, cut into 2-in. pieces.
Nutrition Facts1 pastry: 248 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 182mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 8, 2012
Author review: This recipe is slightly different than the recipe I sent in. Either double the filling ingredients or cut the dough ingredients in half. Baking: Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, turn oven to 350 and bake 15 more minutes. Internal temperature should be 160 degrees. I give these away at Christmas. Delicious.
Sep 3, 2012
Have loved this wonderful almond treat for years, but never thought it was something I would attempt at home, and couldn't find them here in MO. You sure made my day when I found this on your site...thank you so very much!
Feb 7, 2012
This recipe was quite a bit of work to make, but it was so good, I would definitely make it again.