- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 8 bacon strips
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, pickle relish, ketchup, sugar and onion until well blended. Cover and refrigerate. In a large bowl, combine the Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Place bacon on a piece of heavy-duty foil on one side of the grill. Place the patties on the other side of the grill. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer inserted in burger reads 160° and juices run clear. Cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Place a cheese slice on each burger; cover and grill until cheese is melted. Layer bottom half of each bun with the lettuce, burger, bacon and mayonnaise mixture. Replace bun tops. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forDressed-Up Bacon Burgers
"Well in my rush last night making dinner, I guess I muffed up the recipe a bit lol... I used frozen hamburger patties that needed to be used up, so I somehow ended up mixing all the other ingredients together (added the worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the sauce rather than the meat!). Anyway, it turned out to be the best 1000 Island dressing I've ever had so I might make it again the same way next time!!! Didn't use the bacon cause mine had apparently been in the freezer wayyy too long... Despite all of my disorganization, the burgers were great along with some pasta salad. Not a bad dinner at all!"
"forgot to buy the bacon, so didn't try the "whole" recipe, but everything else was great. The sauce was even liked by my husband who is usually not impressed by new things. Definitely will try again with the bacon."
"This was an extremely well balanced burger. No one ingredient was overwhelming, they just all worked together. First time we tried this, we tweaked the recipe and liked it but not as much as following it to the letter. First time for bacon on the grill, too and it was great. No smell in the house! Thank you for posting."
"I thought these burgers were alittle tasteless. Sorry... and the "thousand island" topping reminded me of the McDonalds special sauce. Some people may love it, I'm just not a fan."
"These burgers were great! I halved the recipe since I was only making for my boyfriend and I. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference with the flavor of this burger compared to a plain hamburger so maybe it could use more spices. The special mayonnaise was delish, it soaked up almost completely into the buns so I had to keep adding more. I will use this recipe again the next time we're in the mood for burgers."
"Some of us occasionally indulge in a treat such as this without obsessing over its sodium and fat content. If that makes us "wack-o," so be it. Lighten up, Michigangirl. I have been tweaking this recipe a bit over the past few years, and now I just add grated sharp cheddar and real bacon bits to the ground beef along with the Worcestershire, salt and garlic powder, and mix it all up. The hubster thinks these are the best. burgers. ever."
"ARE YOU ALL WACK-O? ONE BURGER HAS WAY TOO MUCH SODIUM FOR A PERSON & THE FAT/SATURATED FAT IS WAY OVER THE TOP! WE WOULD NOT TOUCH THIS RECIPE WITH A TEN FOOT POLE!YOUR NUTRITIONAL FACTS WILL STILL BE VARYING DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF BUN THAT YOU USE TOO! THINK PEOPLE!"
"These are good!I halved all of the ingredients, since eight burgers would be way too much for my family of three. Instead of putting slices of cheese on the patties for the last couple minutes of grilling, I added about half a cup of grated extra-sharp cheddar to the ground beef mixture. Also, I just wrapped a slice of bacon around each patty and secured it with a wooden toothpick.The sauce is awesome and is made with ingredients found in nearly everyone's fridge or pantry. Even my somewhat picky nine-year-old loved it. The burgers are moist, juicy and flavorful. Great recipe!"