- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup blanched sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extract. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over dough. Top with almonds. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut into diamond-shaped bars. Cool completely. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews forDiamond Almond Bars
"These bar cookies came out very dry and crumbly. The flavor was there, but definitely not the texture. I will not be making these again."
"Have made this many times. Very light and tasty, if you love almond flavor, you'll enjoy this cookie."
"Tasty and easy to make. I would put it in a smaller pan though. They were a little thin. Kind of taste like snickerdoodles."
"didn't like so much, but made great triangular base for the chocolate mice! went over well"