Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and grease the foil. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into two 12-in. x 3-in. rectangles on foil. Brush with milk; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Lift foil with rectangles onto a wire rack; cool for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°.
- Transfer rectangles to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn and bake 10 minutes longer or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 79 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jun 17, 2018
This recipe needs some tweaking. First needs about a cup more sugar plus some better directions for shaping the dough
Mar 5, 2018
I don't get why they are called almond. There isn't any almond flavoring.
Dec 7, 2017
I tried to make the recipe exactly as posted but was unable to shape the dough until I added almost another full cup of flour therefore I cannot understand the 5 star rating. I. Wish people would rate the exact recipe instead of a recipe after changes are made.
Nov 9, 2017
May 25, 2017
Nov 28, 2015
I have made these 4 times now. 3 cups of flour works perfect for me every time. Get your hands slightly damp when forming the biscotti and you should have no problem with sticking. I highly recommend almond extract-my favorite!!
May 3, 2014
I used the Sour Cream Biscotti recipe and it was excellent. Dough was perfect for handling. Instead of using foil as recipe states, I lined baking sheets with parchment paper and placed dough directly on paper to form the loaf. Can't really rate this particular recipe as I have not tried it Thus the 1 star. I guess this is more of a suggestion to avoid some of problems stated by reviewers.
Dec 10, 2013
I actually used 4 cups of flour before the dough could be handled without sticking to everything. This is the first time I have made biscotti and am pleased with how they turned out.
Dec 6, 2013
my favorite biscotti
Oct 28, 2013
I have made this time and time again and it is just perfect always. I use almond X not anise.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.