Decadent Fudge Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 cup chocolate syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
- Cream butter in a large bowl. Gradually mix in sugar. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine buttermilk and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with flour, beginning and ending with flour. Add melted chocolate, chocolate syrup and vanilla. Stir in 1 cup miniature chocolate chips. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately invert cake onto a serving plate; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt white chocolate and 2 tablespoons shortening; stir until smooth. Cool slightly; drizzle over cake. Melt remaining chips and shortening in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Drizzle over white chocolate.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 519 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Sep 30, 2019
This is the chocolate pound cake recipe that I have been looking for forever! THANK YOU.....So rich and moist with the deepest chocolate flavor without using bitter sweet ingredients or coffee. It is truly....DECADENT! The picture clearly shows a bundt cake but there was too much batter for my large pan.....so next time large Tube Pan for sure. Found an older recipe that a reviewer mentioned cooking at 300 for longer. Did that since my oven is hot and my pan was dark.
Feb 4, 2019
Put me in a chocolate coma...but will make it again! Delicious and moist and so chocolatey!
Dec 14, 2017
It's the best cake ever! I first made this cake as a teenager many years ago, it was perfect then and perfect now! So chocolatey and delicious.Only difference from my recipe is mine bakes at 300? for 1:25-35 minutes.
Apr 11, 2016
For deep chocolate lovers, this recipe is really good. The cake is a very dense, rich cake, and my husband really liked the fudgy glaze and the chocolate chips in the cake as well. If you don't have "chocoholic" taste buds, go with another recipe... this one is definitely rich! It was easy to make as well. Served it for Easter dinner desert as one option for a buffet with a scoop of ice cream.
Jan 13, 2014
This cake turned out delicious, and was pretty simple to make. I was very surprised how thick the batter was; I had to actually spoon it into the pan, because it wouldn't pour. Both the toppings were also too thick to pour - I ended up frosting the top of the cake with the white chocolate mixture, and then added some of the extra chocolate syrup to the melted mini-chips and butter so I could make the drizzle pattern. All and all, though, it was a wonderful cake, my guests totally loved it. After dessert and sending pieces home with three people there was nothing left!