Crinkle-Top Chocolate Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a microwave, melt 1 cup chocolate chips. Stir until smooth; set aside. Beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat well. Stir in melted chocolate.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture alternately with water. Stir in remaining chocolate chips. Refrigerate, covered, until easy to handle, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Roll in confectioners' sugar. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 85 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 1, 2019
Great cookies! My sister in particular loved them when I made them for Christmas a couple years ago. I've kept this recipe around so I can make them for her. I think they're pretty great, too.
Dec 17, 2018
I made these with some mint chips and they were delicious the first day but then became very dry and crumbly. Still tasted good. Could they have been baked too long?
Dec 16, 2018
These were very yummy! Even my husband said "this is a keeper". A little crispy on the outside and fudgy in the middle! I will definitely make again.
Nov 28, 2018
Question: Could whole eggs be used instead of just egg whites?
Feb 18, 2018
This recipe is very similar to a cookie recipe that I had learned in H.S. Home-Ec and had lost it over the years since 1974. Great cookie. Saving this one!
Jan 14, 2017
I used a combo Ghirardelli bittersweet and Nestle chocolate chips and put a Hug in the middle. They came out delicious and were gone super fast. I going to have to make a double batch next year!
Dec 14, 2015
Super easy and delicious. I used a cookie scoop to measure the balls and ended up with about 60 cookies instead of only 42 as the recipe indicated. Perfect for gift giving! these will be a favorite for sure.
Dec 2, 2013
These **yummies** are a definite favorite of my family. I also make *oodles* of them to give as Christmas gifts from my kitchen. They cannot be beat!!
Feb 3, 2012
Very yummy!!! I can't believe they only have 2TB of butter in them.
Jan 8, 2012
They turned out beautiful, very moist and chocolatey, A little too sweet for my taste, so I'll cut the sugar by 1/3rd, and not roll them in confectioner's sugar. This is a keeper - and so nice and low in fat!!!