VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 8 ounces uncooked vermicelli
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- In a large skillet, saute the broccoli and asparagus in butter for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, cook vermicelli according to package directions.
- In a saucepan, cook and stir the cream cheese and milk over medium heat until smooth and blended. Add Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer or until blended. Remove from the heat.
- Stir lemon peel into the vegetables. Drain vermicelli; place in a serving bowl. Add vegetables and cheese sauce; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Veggie Vermicelli in Country June/July 2003, p51