VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 jars (7 ounces each) roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry and chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pears in juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the potatoes, red peppers and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Add pears; let cool.
- In a blender, cover and puree in batches. Return to the pan. Stir in cayenne and black pepper. Cook until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Creamy Red Pepper Soup in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p17
Reviews forCreamy Red Pepper Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 10, 2010
"This is a fabulous recipe, and has become a Christmas tradition for our family. Bursting with goo wholesome flavor. The pears balance out the onion and garlic nicely."
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2009
"Excellent soup. Made it several times and a winner each time."