- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in soup and cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in the sour cream, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 13 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews forCreamy Hash Brown Potato Soup
"I have made soup in the past with hash browns but this is my favorite!"
"easy and Delicious!"
"This is one of my go to soups when I am in a hurry. I dress it up by cooking the onions before adding the potatoes & water. I also like to add a cap-full of liquid smoke to give it a little more depth. When serving I sprinkle some shredded cheese and bacon bits and serve with bread - the whole family loves this one."
"So easy and so good. I given the receipe to others to make. Everyone loves it. Made it just like the receipe states."
"The first time I made this I followed the recipe as printed. I didn't think it had much flavor and was too watery. I made it a second time with a few modifications and it turned out much better. I substituted Potatoes O'Brien for the shredded hash browns. I used 2 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of milk rather than the 6 cups of water. Omitted the chopped onions. Used 1 can of cream of chicken and 1 can of cream of onion soup. Increased Velveeta to 8 oz."