Cream of Walnut Soup
“Smooth and creamy, this mildly flavored soup makes a wonderful start to a meal. With its unique taste, it is not your run-of-the-mill soup.” — Denise Albers, Freeburg, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until pureed. Strain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Gradually stir in pureed mixture. Add cream; heat through (do not boil). Garnish with parsley.