Cream of Walnut Soup
“Smooth and creamy, this mildly flavored soup makes a wonderful start to a meal. With its unique taste, it is not your run-of-the-mill soup.” — Denise Albers, Freeburg, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until pureed. Strain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Gradually stir in pureed mixture. Add cream; heat through (do not boil). Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 365 calories, 32g fat (10g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 824mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Cream of Walnut Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.