Cream of Mussel Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 3 pounds fresh mussels (about 5 dozen), scrubbed and beards removed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Tap mussels; discard any that do not close. Set aside. In a stockpot, combine the onions, celery, water, wine or broth, clam juice, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add mussels. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mussels have opened. Remove mussels with a slotted spoon, discarding any unopened mussels; set aside opened mussels and keep warm.
- Cool cooking liquid slightly. In a blender, cover and process cooking liquid in batches until blended. Return all to pan. Add cream and reserved mussels; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 each: 368 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1043mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Mar 10, 2019
made a few modifications on this recipe, i didn't blend it because i felt it was a bit heartier with keeping the onions and celery whole. Also i cooked the onions before adding the ingredients. Also shelled all the mussels then added back to pot with half and half and cooked on low for a little bit to get the flavor of the mussels. Very good Cold Sunday dinner.