Cream of Mussel Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 3 pounds fresh mussels (about 5 dozen), scrubbed and beards removed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Tap mussels; discard any that do not close. Set aside. In a stockpot, combine the onions, celery, water, wine or broth, clam juice, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add mussels. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mussels have opened. Remove mussels with a slotted spoon, discarding any unopened mussels; set aside opened mussels and keep warm.
- Cool cooking liquid slightly. In a blender, cover and process cooking liquid in batches until blended. Return all to pan. Add cream and reserved mussels; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 each: 368 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1043mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 10, 2019
made a few modifications on this recipe, i didn't blend it because i felt it was a bit heartier with keeping the onions and celery whole. Also i cooked the onions before adding the ingredients. Also shelled all the mussels then added back to pot with half and half and cooked on low for a little bit to get the flavor of the mussels. Very good Cold Sunday dinner.