Cranberry Apricot Scones
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in apricot and cranberries. In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, egg white and orange zest; stir into crumb mixture just until blended.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently four times. Roll into a 12x6-in. rectangle. Cut into eight 3-in. squares. Cut each square into two triangles. Separate pieces and transfer to a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until browned. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 164 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 4, 2012
These were not quite as tender as I like my scones but loved the flavor combination! Next time will just add the cranberries, apricots and orange zest to my favorite scone recipe.
Nov 10, 2010
Doubled cranberries, added 1 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp. almond extract. Left out orange peel because our family doesn't like it.
Dec 8, 2008
I used 2 T. butter and the whole egg instead of egg white. Use pan from oven with parchment paper. other pan too small..
Jul 4, 2008
This sounds great!