Cranberry-Apple Spice Pie
Dried cranberries add flecks of festive red color in this tender apple pie. Your kitchen will be filled with a spicy aroma as the pie bakes.—Suzanne Earl, Spring, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 5 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 cups ice water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 7 medium apples, peeled and sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and cardamom; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll out larger portion to fit a 9-in. deep dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Beat egg white and water; brush over pastry.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine ice water and lemon juice. Add apples; let stand for 20 minutes. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, cornstarch, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Drain apples; pat dry. Combine apples and cranberries. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Spoon filling into crust; sprinkle with remaining brown sugar and dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 40-45 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cover with foil during the last 20-30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 537 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 409mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as CranApple Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.