Cranberry-Apple Spice Pie
Dried cranberries add flecks of festive red color in this tender apple pie. Your kitchen will be filled with a spicy aroma as the pie bakes.—Suzanne Earl, Spring, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 5 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 cups ice water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 7 medium apples, peeled and sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and cardamom; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll out larger portion to fit a 9-in. deep dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Beat egg white and water; brush over pastry.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine ice water and lemon juice. Add apples; let stand for 20 minutes. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, cornstarch, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Drain apples; pat dry. Combine apples and cranberries. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Spoon filling into crust; sprinkle with remaining brown sugar and dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 40-45 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cover with foil during the last 20-30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.