Crab Rangoon Cheese Ball
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makes2 cups (48 wonton chips)
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) lump crabmeat, drained or 6 ounces imitation crabmeat, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic and Worcestershire sauce until blended. Stir in crab. Shape mixture into a ball; coat with chives. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut wonton wrappers diagonally in half; arrange in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets. Spritz with cooking spray; sprinkle with sesame seeds, salt and pepper. Bake 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Serve with cheese ball.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons with 3 chips: 116 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Feb 18, 2015
This was a huge hit at our party. Don't even bother with the sesame seeds. It is true that they don't stick to the wonton wrappers.
Jan 10, 2015
One of our favorite go to appetizers! We love the flavors in it!
Apr 24, 2014
I made this for Easter and it was a HUGE hit! Everyone loved the cheese ball and were very impressed that I made the chips...which couldn't have been easier, although I agree that the sesame seeds didn't stick well with the cooking spray.
Mar 17, 2014
I can't say much more than what everyone else said. I agree, the sesame seeds are so expensive, and they just sort of fell off (brushed with oil, not with spray). This was a huge hit at a party, but I didn't think it tasted anything like crab rangoon. Loved the chips, though. I always tend to have lots of extra wonton wrappers because the packages are so big, so I now will do this again to use them but I'll serve them with hummus.
Mar 2, 2014
My husband and I really enjoyed this cheese ball. I lightly brushed the wontons with garlic-flavored olive oil instead of spritzing them with cooking spray, and will definitely do that again! Not only did it enhance the flavor of the chips, but the sesame seeds stuck better too.
Jan 4, 2014
My husband and I love crab Rangoon so I had to give this a try. I was expecting this to taste more like it than it did. It had a good flavor but not like crab Rangoon and unfortunately I would prefer to make another cheese ball from my recipes instead of this. I did love the taste of baking the wanton wrappers. I will be doing that part again for other spreads.
Dec 27, 2013
My family likes this. I also brought this to a Christmas get - together and it was well - received.
Dec 21, 2013
The Cheese Ball was great, the sesame seeds on the chips, not so much :( They just fall off, cooking spray is not enough to hold them on the chips. Skip the seeds altogether or add them to the outside of the cheese ball along with the chives!!
Dec 5, 2013
I made this for Thanksgiving and it got rave reviews! I wanted to make sure I brought something no one else might have but a twist on a classic. Will definitely be making this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.