Cowboy Beef Dip
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons chopped onion, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 tablespoons sliced ripe olives, divided
- 4 tablespoons sliced pimiento-stuffed olives, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Tortilla chips
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, 3 tablespoons onion, 2 tablespoons red pepper and 1 tablespoon green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, salsa, 3 tablespoons ripe olives, 3 tablespoons pimiento-stuffed olives, chilies, jalapeno, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Top with the cheese, sour cream and parsley; sprinkle with the remaining onion, peppers and olives. Serve with tortilla chips.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 116 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 336mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 18, 2014
This is great for parties. Yum!
Dec 12, 2012
Great flavour...a bit spicy which I love. Made it a day ahead. Heated in a pot then placed in serving dish with fresh toppings. I doubled it for a gathering and there was only a couple spoons left. Yum!
Aug 21, 2012
Great recipe. Will make again. It's a keeper! I didn't change a thing.
May 30, 2012
Great recipe, we loved it. Along with chips, I also served it with chunked avacado and tomato. This recipe will go in my tried & true collection.
Jan 29, 2012
My family loved this dish! We'll most likely make be making it again!
Jun 18, 2011
The kids even loved this.
Oct 31, 2010
Upped the amounts of green and red peppers on top, added more cheese, and served it as a meal pre-assembled like nachos. My son loved it! Omitted black olives though because I don't like them, added more green instead.
Oct 12, 2010
This dish is delicious - if I changed anything, it would be to add more japapeno pepper.Does anyone know how this would freeze? I did make it a day before serving and rewarming..it did fine. A great party dish!!!
Oct 9, 2010
Very good. Not something typical with refried beans. I'm also glad to see that another reviewer knows that cooks (in Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic) use oregano and black pepper more than spicy chilies.
Oct 3, 2010
I have never made anthing with so many ingredients, but it was very good! I left out the Jalapeno pepper and parsely. I also browned the meat and peppers and onions and then put it in a crockpot with all the other ingredients and let it simmer. Good stuff!