DURING the Depression, we made do with what we had. Mother always looked for ways to add variety to our meals, and these corn fritters were her special treat. She served them as a bread or a vegetable. No matter how they were presented, their hearty taste complemented any meal. —Auton Miller Piney Flats, Tennessee
Recommended: 75 Delicious Ways to Eat Corn on (and off) the Cob
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg, separated
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and paprika. In another bowl, beat egg yolk; stir in corn. Add to flour mixture and mix well. Beat egg white until soft peaks form; fold into flour mixture.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 2-4 servings.
Originally published as Corn Fritters in Reminisce Extra October 1996, p47
Reviews forCorn Fritters
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 31, 2010
"I added a teaspoon of sugar to give it a sweet corn taste"