Corn Bread Vegetable Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1-3/4 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Place the squash, potatoes, parsnips and onion in a shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Combine the oil, salt and tarragon; drizzle over vegetables and toss to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour or until tender, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add broccoli and lemon peel. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Add to broccoli. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to roasted vegetables; stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the baking mix, cornmeal, cayenne and remaining milk until smooth. Drop batter in 12 mounds over hot vegetables. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until topping is browned.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 205 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 7, 2016
I wanted to try this recipe because it had parsnip in it, but I couldn't find parsnips which is probably a good thing as husband informed me later that he does not like parsnips. Good recipe for Meatless Mondays.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.