Summer Vegetable Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, red pepper and onion; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, milk, salt and pepper; stir into vegetables. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- For topping, in a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese and basil. Add milk; stir just until moistened. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls over filling. Bake 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 354 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 938mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Jul 15, 2018
Great vegetarian option. My husband announced that this one is a keeper. I did take the advice of doubling the vegetables and sauce but not the biscuit topping. Used an 8 by 12 baking dish. Also to spice it up a bit added 2 jalapeños and some Parmesan to the s.auce.
Dec 12, 2016
New family favorite! After eating fried and saut?ed squash all summer, it was time for a change. I made this recipe to use up some veggies from the garden. My husband and I loved it! I did use whole buttermilk instead of regular milk in the recipe. But I do that in almost every recipe that calls for plain milk. Delicious!
Sep 15, 2015
My husband and I both thought this was delicious. It is a keeper and I will definitely be making it again. Note, I only had half a red pepper so used half an orange pepper (so that I had a whole pepper). Other than that small change followed as written.
Jun 21, 2015
Wow,what a great recipe ! Thanks for sharing !
Jun 23, 2014
Look fwd. to making, especially with the glorious ratings.
Feb 28, 2014
Aug 28, 2013
I thought this was a yummy and easy-fast dish using a lot of ingredients already on hand. I made it a side dish.
Aug 13, 2013
Very easy to make, very tasty & freezes well.
Aug 8, 2013
Had a lot of flavor. Great way to use zucchini up!
Aug 7, 2013
This recipe has a lot of flavor! The topping really brings it all together! I love being able to use up all my zucchini out of the garden! Thank you for finding another unique way to utilize squash! The only changes I made were I used canola oil and skim milk to make it more heart healthy, plus a little tarragon for additional flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.