Contest-Winning Grandma’s Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling
- 10 pounds salad potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
- 12 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 radishes, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup milk
- Leaf lettuce
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, celery, radishes, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper. In another large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugars, vanilla and mustard. Stir in milk. Pour over potato mixture; gently toss to coat. Chill overnight.
- Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 425 calories, 35g fat (5g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
May 10, 2018
I have been making this recipe for many years and have always gotten great reviews from family and friends. I use golden potatoes because they hold up well. I don't always have radish available, but always add some chopped dill pickle. The real secret to this recipe is the touch of vanilla, it adds something extra but is virtually unrecognizable. The milk keeps it creamy so the dressing isn't all absorbed into the potatoes. Such a delicious salad!
Sep 11, 2011
this is really quick and easy, very good too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.