Cleo’s Potato Salad
My mom, Cleo Lightfoot, loved cooking all kinds of different recipes, but her favorite meal was one she made when hosting backyard barbecues in the summer. She would make her famous ribs, baked beans and this delicious potato salad. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 3-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 12 medium), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Remove all but 1 tablespoon drippings from pan.
- Stir sugar and flour into drippings until smooth. Gradually stir in water; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into beaten egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Gently stir in vinegar, onion and seasonings. Fold in whipped cream. Stir in eggs, celery, potatoes and bacon. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 211 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Cleo's Potato Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.