- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 375°. In an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan, combine butter and brown sugar. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange 9 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate any remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to batter, beating well.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forClassic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
"I did not enjoy this recipe...too dry. It's definitely not like my mom made!"
"Have any of you tried baking this in a cast iron skillet? How long? I believe this is how people originally made it."
"My son always asks for pineapple upside down cake for his birthday and this is a delicious recipe. The only changes I made were to use crushed pineapple instead of the pineapple slices and I did not use the pecans as he does not like nuts of any kind."
"Very light and delicious!"
"Good but topping a little sweet. Hubby loved it. Made without pecans."
"Light and fluffy! I made this without the pecans and it was still delicious. I also used an 8" square pan, since I didn't have a 9 inch one, and I was still able to fit 9 pineapple slices on the bottom. I just had to bake it for about 15 minutes longer for the center to set."
"made as is and it was very good. You can almost leave the pecans off, as we didn't think it added much to it."
"My husband is a HUGE fan of pineapple up-down cakes and this his is favorite!! Mine too.."
"Great show-off dessert."
"I am this with peaches. Everyone loved it."