Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 coffee cakes, 8 servings per cake
- 1/3 cup packed almond paste
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a bowl, cream almond paste, butter and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar. Add shortening; beat for 2 minutes. Add egg yolks; mix well. Gradually beat in milk. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- For topping, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 283 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 22, 2019
This recipe was good. I don't usually fuss with recipes that use egg yolks and egg whites instead of whole eggs but I wanted to give it a try since it had almond paste in it. I've never used almond paste but found a recipe called Homemade Almond Paste in the TOH website to use.
Jun 1, 2018
delicious on it's own, even better with hot chocolate!
Feb 15, 2011
This is a very good recipe. I will use it for a breakfast bread but it could also be served as a dessert with some ice cream.