Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 coffee cakes, 8 servings per cake
- 1/3 cup packed almond paste
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a bowl, cream almond paste, butter and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar. Add shortening; beat for 2 minutes. Add egg yolks; mix well. Gradually beat in milk. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- For topping, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 283 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 1, 2018
delicious on it's own, even better with hot chocolate!
Feb 15, 2011
This is a very good recipe. I will use it for a breakfast bread but it could also be served as a dessert with some ice cream.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.