Wonderfully versatile, this gift is seasoned for both sipping and sniffing. When mixed with fruit juices, it's a delicious winter warmer-upper. Boiled in water, it makes a "scentsational" potpourri that will add a heavenly fragrance to the whole house!
Recommended: Christmas Drinks
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- SPICE MIX:
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR CRANBERRY WASSAIL:
- 1 quart cranberry juice
- 1 quart pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Combine spice mix ingredients; place in the center of two 6-in. square pieces of cheesecloth. Bring corners together and tie with string or dental floss. Yield: 1 spice bag.
- To use as a room scent: Place spice bag in a 2-cup microwave-safe measuring cup filled with hot water. Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until water boils. Continue to microwave at 30% power to add fragrance to the whole house. (Add more water if microwaved for additional time.)
- To prepare cranberry wassail: Combine juices, sugar and spice bag in a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and cut a vent. Microwave on high for 14 minutes or until mixture boils. Microwave at 50% power 5 minutes longer. Yield: 1 spice bag.
Originally published as Christmas Spice Mix in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p47