- 6 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and 1 cup sugar twice.
- Add almond extract, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Gently fold in coconut.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake until top springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry, 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate-Coconut Angel Cupcakes
"The texture of this cupcake was hard to get past. However, my father was over the day I made these and he could just not get enough of them. He loved them!"
"Substituting the 1 1/2 cups of sugar in this recipe with a product like Splenda cuts a whopping 55-60 calories off each muffin! Just adjust accordingly."