Chilly Night Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (11-1/2 ounces each) V8 juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- Brown beef in oil in batches in a large skillet. Transfer meat and drippings to a 6-qt slow cooker. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Combine the broth, juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, basil, paprika and remaining salt and pepper; pour over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 310 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 874mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Apr 8, 2014
This was good, but not great, it took longer to cook than it says in the recipe and it needed more seasoning
Oct 3, 2012
I halved the recipe and put in a smaller slow cooker. It was fantastic! I did not put any Worcestershire sauce in as I don't like the flavor. I did, however, add a couple of drops of hot sauce for some zing. Great recipe!