Total TimePrep: 45 min. + cooling Cook: 10 min.
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black paste food coloring
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) fat-free vegetarian chili
- 1 tablespoon process cheese sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk, eggs and food coloring just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut top fourth off loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Set aside 1/4 cup pepper mixture. Stir chili into remaining pepper mixture; heat through. Spoon 2-1/2 to 3 cups chili mixture into bread coffin; arrange reserved pepper mixture over chili. Replace bread top. Transfer remaining chili to a serving bowl.
- Place cheese sauce in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Write "RIP" with cheese sauce, then repeat with ketchup. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 314 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 613mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 8g fiber), 12g protein.
Nov 12, 2017
This made a cute centerpiece but I didn’t care for this particular chili. I think I might try it another time with a different chili recipe or maybe even a dip. I used the canned cheese which was perfect for writing and then went over it with ketchup.
Oct 7, 2010
Very cool presentation! My husband was iffy about it but ended up loving it! i added a jar of cheese dip to the table and it was a hit! would never make it without having some cheese sauce to drizzle over my servings!
Nov 3, 2009
I would use dark rye loaf bread...cut the same way as the recipe decorated the same....this is a very good idea, and I will use it for other dishes besides the chilli...thank you for sharing...Thunder
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.