- 5-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Merlot wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, broth, wine or additional broth, tapioca, sugar, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve with pasta if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forChicken Merlot with Mushrooms
"I liked the ease of preparation and the fact that it did not take too long to cook (the chicken was over 200 degrees after 4 1/2 hours). It just did not have much "oomph" for me. The flavor profile was good and my family enjoyed it."
"Just did not care for at all."
"Very good! Great deep flavor."
"Great! Superb! Amazing! Need I go on. Make it!!"
"In response to the person who could not find instant tapioca - you need to look in with the instant pudding. Kraft makes a Minute Tapioca in small, Jiffy mix type box.To others wondering about substitutes, I found this tidbit on the 'net:INGREDIENT - 1 Tbls. cornstarch,SUBSTITUTE -2 Tbls. flour or 1 1/3 Tbls. quick-cooking tapioca;INGREDIENT -1 Tbls. flour,SUBSTITUTE - 1/2 Tbls. cornstarch or 2 tsp. quick-cooking tapioca;INGREDIENT -1 Tbls. tapioca,SUBSTITUTE -1 1/2 Tbls. all-purpose flourI am cooking up this dish now. Will write further review once it has been served."
"kaela0124 you can substitute cornstarch for tapioca, use half the amount and don't use it until the end of your cooking process. I would mix it with a little cold water before adding it, like you would for gravy."
"I have read all the reviews and maybe I just missed the answer. But I just went to 3 stores - Jewel, Dominicks and Walmart and everyone told me they don't carry quick cooking tapioca anymore. Do I use the same measurement of cornstarch?"